A comparison between JVC and Boss head units

A comparison between JVC and Boss head units
               The JVC KW-V50BT is pricey, but has sleek controls. 

I was first impressed by Boss speakers after hearing them in a 2006 Nissan Altima S. It was a base model, so I was pleasantly surprised by the hard-hitting speakers.

The JVC head unit that was later installed in the car really brought the speakers to life, and that was when I was truly impressed. The head unit was pretty cool — black with a sweet color-changing display and interface. It was the KW-XR610 model, and it included a remote, USB, and AUX port. It wasn’t too expensive, costing just $150 with the adapter and hardware from Crutchfield, if I remember correctly.


For a relatively low-cost modification, I was pretty happy with the performance of the speakers, which is what led me to explore the options offered by each manufacturer. The crystal clear nine-speaker Bose system in my 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero is quite an earful as-is, but I’m looking to raise it to the next level by adding a 12-inch sub – or two – to lower the bass in the other speakers and really let them sing. It will take some tweaking and tuning of the power levels to match the stock speakers with the installed subwoofers, but it should allow me to maintain the impressive clarity while reaching a whole new level of loud.
               A comparison between JVC and Boss head units

The Boss BV9364B puts out 80 watts by four channels and costs just $159.99, making a play in any “power-per-dollar” comparison. 

The first step in all of this is installing sound insulation to reduce if not completely diminish any rattling noises caused by the vibrations of the bass. After this, I can see everything the system has to offer as it comes from the factory. The difference in quality of sound would have to be significant enough for me to justify the extra weight in the car – yeah, I’m that guy.

I currently have a Kenwood single-DIN I intend on using with the triple gauge pod I’m having 3D-printed. However, if I decide to upgrade, the new JVC KW-V50BT looks very intriguing. With a nice seven-inch touchscreen display and a simple design, this radio has the sleek look I favor. The new customizable interface is interesting, as well, allowing a user to set shortcuts to more frequently used features, as well as more convenient touch-controls for settings such as volume or changing songs.

It has way more features than the comparison model by Boss, which is the BV9364B. Another large-screen, double-DIN head unit, it is admittedly slightly smaller than the JVC by 0.8 inches. The JVC puts out 50 watts per each of the four channels, while the Boss puts out 80 watts per four channels. The biggest difference would be the price – the Boss model is only $159.99. Compared to the pricey JVC, which is $599.95, that’s about a $440 difference. While the JVC has more bells and whistles,  I’m not sure it would be enough to sway me to cough up the extra cash.


If you were interested in this, check out the follow up article coming soon, in which I give a comparison between JVC and Boss amplifiers, subwoofers, and capacitors.

0 comments:

Technology for your life...read more....